Feb 4, 2010

Katakolon and Olympia

We docked at Katakolon and got off the boat later than we had planned. We missed the express train that was headed for Olympia, which left bright and early at 8:30. The next train did not come until after 11 and it wasn't the express. The train station was not open and we only had a note on the door to go by. I really wanted to get to Olympia and felt like we would not if we just sat around and waited. It took some convincing Bruce, but we eventually split the taxi cost with another couple from Great Britain and we were on our way!

This is Bruce's remembrance of driving in the emergency parking lane. Everyone drove in the emergency parking lane to make room for passing on the 2 lane highway. Bruce thinks that it is a great idea and that this philosophy should be adopted in the states.

Bruce loves the concept of the Bases of Zanes. He thinks it would be great to incorporate this principle in all competitive sports. It would help create more fear of cheating!

This is the entrance to the Olympic field. The athletes would run through the tunnel to the heralding crowds and judges.

This is where the judges would view the athletes on the field. Doesn't Bruce make a great judge?

Olympic field

Ruins of Zeus's Temple

I was very excited about the Victory statue. This is Victory's base. The statue itself, I found out later, is not in great condition. I can't wait to see the one in the Luv!

Here is Victory in all her glory! The replica is much nicer.

A museum employee did not like this picture at all. He reprimanded Bruce for getting too close to the statue.

Hermes of Praxiteles

I love the friezes! The sculptures are amazing and very life-like. It amazed me the whole time as I pondered the amount of work and detail put into them. I was also reminded that yet while we appreciate the work, nothing lasts forever. What meant so much to the creators of this building is now in ruins and does not mean as much anymore.

We were triumphant! I got to enjoy the atmosphere of the ruins of the ancient Olympiad. We hopped back in the cab that faithfully waited for us as agreed upon, and drove us all back into Katakolon to spend our remaining few hours.

Here are more Greek people for Lincoln to charm! We got some great shopping in and were happy to spend money in this little town. We were the last cruise ship coming through until April, so the merchants were very eager to make a sale and were willing to negotiate more than usual.

We are all still smiling at the end of a long and tiresome day!

After boarding again, I had some time to do laundry in the sink. We bought some detergent in town, as we were running low on clean clothes. How did anyone ever live without a washing machine?
Bruce, Lincoln and I picked up Allen and Gideon from the kids program and spent some time on deck enjoying the ice cream as a family, the live music that we boogied to and savoring the incredible sunset.

We started adapting to life on the Vision of the Seas. Bruce and I helped Allen and Gideon through their homework before dinner, then we enjoyed eating the great food on board, then dropped off Allen and Gideon at Ocean Adventure for their themed nights. We hardly saw Allen and Gideon, but they didn't mind at all. They didn't miss us one bit.

It so happened that after my laundry doing, the ship was having a sale on laundry. $25 for any lighter items that you could fit in the bag. This picture is a testimonial to my great packing skills. I think we got as much of our money's worth as we could.

It was pirate night at Ocean Adventure. Gideon has never liked dressing up or putting on face paint. Tonight was no exception! Argh Matey!

No comments: