My tonsillectomy has been a very interesting experience. I am not sure what I was expecting, but it has been different than anything I have experienced. I have a lot to say, so below is my experience.
Day 1: Bruce and I left the house at 8:15 to make it to Weiden Klinikum before 9. I was sad that Lincoln was still asleep and I didn't get to say goodbye. After checking in, I sat in a room reading while I waited for the pill I took to take effect. It didn't take long to feel a bit drowsy. I changed into my wonderful hospital gown and they wheeled me down to the O.R. on my bed. Not surprisingly, the nurse had a hard time putting in the IV needle. After one attempt in the hand, she finally got it in on my arm. Consequently, she left a big bruise because she fished so much. I remember the hair cap going on and the mask over my mouth, then I am blank.
I remember coming out of the anesthesia thinking that my throat should hurt more than it does. I am surprised. I am in and out of sleep for awhile. I vaguely remember Dr. Kopp coming in to explain the complications of the surgery. He couldn't get me to stop bleeding so he had to cauterize a lot and use a lot of sutures. Bruce sat in the corner working on things for the business while I dose in and out of sleep. Periodically I ask him to do something for me. Mostly it is aiding me to the bathroom. The IV is keeping me hydrated, but the bad thing is that it makes me need to pee. Every time I get up to go, I throw up without fail. Sometimes it is before, sometimes it is after. Bruce rubs me and helps me as best he can. The nurse insisted that it was because I was not sipping one spoonful of liquid at a time every 10 minutes. I follow her instructions to a tee and nothing changes. Finally the night nurse came in and found me throwing up. She immediately said that I needed something in my stomach and brought me in some pudding. It tasted heavenly. I didn't throw up again after that.
Day 2: I realize pretty quickly that mornings would be the most difficult time of day. After sleeping all night my throat is dry which causes more pain. I get into a routine. I drink a liquid aspirin before every meal, take small but frequent sips of water. I do a lot of reading and I begin to watch some movies. Bruce needs to leave me so he can take care of the boys and to transport my two sisters to the train station so they can get themselves to Poland. Afterward, he surprises me with a visit from all my boys. Seeing them brings me so much joy. I miss them. I do not look forward to being alone, but I find the solitude to my liking.
Day 3: I erroneously think that I get to go home today. It has been three days, but Dr. Tichy says that Wednesday doesn't count. I get a roommate today. A girl about 10 and her mother. Neither speak English, and I am not so good with German, so there is not much interaction. I read, listen to my ipod and keep to myself. I look forward all day to seeing my family. They finally come in the afternoon. We walk down together to the cafe and get my free ice cream of the day. Then they play on the toys outside of my room. My roommate and her mother leave. I guess whatever they needed was outpatient. Bruce brings me some movies from the library. He needs to leave to get to Vilseck to get some work done, then make it to our friend Kathy Henderson's farewell dinner at 7. I am sad after they leave, but glad to have the room to myself again. I finish one book, venture out on my balcony, read more, and finally watch some movies. I can't sleep. I think it is the effects of eating dairy. I can't breathe easily either. So I stay up and finish my movie. Then nurse comes in and offers a sleeping pill, but I decline.
Day 4: I wake up feeling just awful. This is the worst I have felt since I had the surgery. I have hope though because I get to go home today. I don't eat much breakfast because I know Bruce will bring me cream of wheat and I want to avoid the dairy so I can feel better and less congested. The doctor sees me and tells me I can go home. I call Bruce and tell him. He will bring the boys in 45 minutes to get me. I pack and get ready and am excited when they come. The nurse takes out the IV, then instructs me to stay out of direct sunlight for 2 weeks so that I don't heat up and start to bleed. I feel faint and it is all I can do to make it to the car. I am on overload. I get home and am surprised by the pain I am in. I spend most of my time upstairs in bed napping. I have a hard time letting go of the things I need to get done before we move. I feel better by the evening time because I am alternating Ibuprofen and acetaminophen. I was discharged on a Saturday, which means the military pharmacy isn't open. I can't get my Percocet until Monday.
Day 5: Bruce gets up and gets the family ready for church. I am in pain because mornings mean that my throat is dry. My body thermostat is out of whack. I am under the covers in a warm room. I sleep until 11. I also wake up with heat rash. Periodically, I have phantom IV pains. I eat eggs for breakfast, then blog and email. By the time I get out of the shower everyone is back from church. I have a hard time with the noise level. Bruce asks me if I am ready to go back to the hospital. In many ways I am. The pain is hard to deal with. I spend more time on the computer, share family pictures with the boys, then start dinner. Bruce made me jello. I like the way it feels as it slides down my throat. After dinner I try to stay busy to keep my mind off of the pain. I look forward to the Percocet. I read about a good idea online. I need to set an alarm and wake up to drink water and take my medicine. I think I will try it.
Day 6: I wake up surprised that I am not in more pain than I am. I think my plan worked. I woke up at 12, 3, then 6 to take my medicine and drink water. I am tired though. I wonder how I am going to make it through the day without Bruce and still make sure the kids are alive at the end of the day. Bruce starts out processing today and will not be home until 5. The good news is, he brings Percocet with him! Maybe I will actually get some sleep tonight. I feel better after a cream of wheat breakfast and then make pudding Popsicles to enjoy later. While I cook, I wonder about the woman who posted online that she would rather go back and birth her 3 children again instead of having a tonsillectomy. She must be crazy. This pain is bad and it is hard to endure, but with some work it is manageable. I get the Popsicles done, then start summer school with the boys. Lincoln is excited to do his flashcards. I think I may just get through the day and have living kids to show for it.
2 comments:
Sounds like not much fun. Thanks for sharing! That was really well written! So even though you were in pain, you were still able to write something beautiful! :)
Are you doing better now? Day four really is the worst. I hope you got lots better after day four, like I did.
Post a Comment