We definitely got into the spirit of Valentine's Day this year. For the whole month we focused on doing nice things for each other as family members to show our love. At the end of the day we would write on a heart what someone else did for us to show their love, then post it on the window. Some days were better than others, and I don't know how much sunk in. The other day though Allen did ask where the hearts were so he could give one for something Lincoln did for him. At minimum, I hope it will help create a spirit of service in our home.
On another Family Home Evening Night, we made homemade Valentine's Day cards to send to all of our family. That is no small feat with my 5 siblings and Bruce's 12. Each kid had to sign his name. Lincoln got a little help. Gideon's signature was my favorite. He put a heart into every letter imaginable. And for a boy that always takes twice as long to complete any task, it increased his signature task exponentially.
I must have had a lot of ambition, because we also made cookies for our neighbors and delivered them. The dough was left over from our quarterly primary activity. For a new Primary presidency, I think things went well. We taught scripture stories at one station, decorated cookies at another, and the third station was decorating scripture charts to encourage the children to read this year and learn to love the scriptures.
Thanks Grandma and Grandpa Barnum for your yummy package! It was a great Valentine's Day treat. It didn't take long for the boys to devour it all! Bruce was helping a family move that night after work, so the kids and I got to have a candlelight dinner together. It was Allen's idea and a welcome treat. We have since replicated it because it was such a hint. Maybe it will rub off on them, so when they are older they will have a bit of romance in them!
Gideon made the cutest Valentine for Bruce and I. There is a poem on each side: one for mom and one for dad. And he did an exceptional job in decorating it!
Dad poem: Dad you are my favorite man, and I sure want you to know
I'll always respect and love you, Dad no matter how big
I grow.
I'm lucky to have you as my dad! I love you!
Mom poem: Mom, I've got some friends of each and every kind
But a better friend than my mother, I'll never find!
I'm so happy you're my mom! I love you!
It just melted my heart, so this a part of my everyday moments I am working to document! It made my day!
1 comment:
Those poems are so sweet!! I don't doubt it melted your heart!! It melted mine too! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. We miss you guys too! Glad you had a great month doing Valentine's Day things. I also love your family picture up above! It's so cute! Love ya!
Post a Comment